Tuesday, March 20, 2007

tag-a-long

I am so excited! I have just finished a project for my nephews & I am getting ready to ship the result to them. My wonderful nephews are 6 years, 10 months and 2 years, 2 months old. The older brother is a wonderfully loving guy and the younger brother wants to be just like him! They are quite a sweet pair. I don't get to see them enough.

That's where this project fits in; Matching Cowichan Style Jackets & Matching Hats!


Matching Jackets
Source: From the North (White Buffalo 102) Featuring Designs from the Canadian Sweater Company Ltd. Since 1977

ISBN: 1-894411-52-8

Pattern: Snowflake Jacket, Size 4 (3 cakes main, 1 cake contrast) & 8 (4 cakes main, 1 cake contrast) page 17

Yarn: White Buffalo, Unspun, 6 strands, 100% Wool (unfortunately discontinued - a similar yarn may be found at Custom Woolen Mills Bulky 6 strand. ), 1 cake = 227 gm / 8 oz

Tension: 11 sts and 15 rows = 10 cm in stocking stitch with 6.5 mm needles

Wraps Per Inch (WPI): 10/3"











Front - Reindeer, back - snowflake



And, here is where I really went all out -they are lined!

I remember a beautiful pink fluffy sweater I had when I was a tot - I loved that sweater. I tried to wear it - but it was too itchy. I could not tolerate it for long. This memory prompted me to line these jackets with satin. It will make the jackets slide more easily over shirt sleeves too.

Matching Hats

Source: Handknit Holidays (Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice)

Author: Melanie Falick

ISBN: 1-58479-454-2

Pattern: Elf Caps - Earflap, Designer Michelle Heyman, Size Small (19") and Medium (21"), made with left overs from the jackets, page 166

Yarn: White Buffalo, Unspun, 6 strands, 100% Wool (unfortunately discontinued - a similar yarn may be found at Custom Woolen Mills Bulky 6 strand. ), 1 cake = 227 gm / 8 oz

Tension: 8 sts and 11 rows = 10 cm in stocking stitch with 10 mm DPN
Wraps Per Inch (WPI): 10/3"

Lined with fleece.

Ties: 4-strand Braid Ties (page 169)


I really enjoyed working with this yarn. It is very soft and knits up well. The Yarn Harlot comments on White Buffalo here on her blog. Another review of this yarn is found on the Knitter's Review.
I like that there are no joins between balls. When you start a new ball of the same colour, you splice the two ends by breaking off half the strands about 6 inches from the end of each ball and overlapping the remaining strands. Just continue knitting as you normally would!
I'll write more when my nephews get the sweaters. This is going to be a big surprise!

To see authentic Cowichan Sweaters you can click this link.

Followup post: thank you canada post

No comments: