Saturday, September 29, 2007

Socks of Love (1)



Here is one of the pair of socks that I knit up for my grandmother. She has a green thumb and loves roses. I chose this colourway because it reminds me of a rose garden. I thinks socks look best on feet! But my feet are larger than my grandmother's and the socks didn't fit. Don't you like my hand crafted sock board? I made it just to post pictures of these socks. What a good reuse of a shipping box!


Pattern: Calla Lily Socks

Designer: Sandara Murphy of Sundara Yarn

Yarn: Seacoast Handpainted Panda Yarn (400 yds per skein)

Contents: 60 % superwash merino, 30% bamboo, 10% nylon

Colourway: Strawberry Patch

Needles: 2. 75 mm (2 US) DPN

Tension: 28-32 stitches per 10 cm (4")


This yarn is lovely in every respect. It is very soft and has a sweet sheen. It was a pure joy to knit up. And there was plenty of yarn for this and a child's pairs of socks.

I made some modifications to the pattern because I wanted it to be able to stretch & cling depending on the state of my grandmother's ankles. I increased the number of stitches to start and then decreased gradually to the number indicated by Sundara. I also added a set of ribs on both sides of the front section of the sock for more elasticity. The simple lace pattern was fun to knit and I like the result (see below). Sundara is great for details like the reverse stocking stitch that carries from the cuff down the bottom of the heel.

2 comments:

Amanda D Allen said...

I made myself a makeshift sock blocker this weekend. Here's a link: The Knitting Zone.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda. Thanks for your comment. I didn't get the link... would you mind posting again ifyou drop by?