Sunday, April 22, 2007

left overs

Click to enlargeClick to enlarge

Click on pictures to enlarge

Here is the pillow that I completed to go with my Easy Granny Quilt Afghan. I had some left over yarn that I could not imagine using again and thought I would see what I could come up with for a throw cushion.

The throw cushion is so easy - a simple garter stitch rectangle.

Easy Granny Throw Cushion
(just in case you wanted to know exactly what I did)

Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun or similar weight yarn
Tension: 14 st
sts and 20 rows = 4" (10cm) on size 10 (6mm) needles
Finished dimensions: 16.5" x 33"

Cast-on: 58 stitches
Row 1: K1 to end
Repeat rows 2 - 164
Bind off last row.

Change colours as desired. Consider that there are two sides. Side one is 16.5" (~82 rows); you may wish to change the pattern at this point.

When completed the rectangle fold to make a 16.5" square and mattress stitch the two sides.

Insert a 16" x 16" square cushion form (machine washable), then close the remaining end with a mattress stitch.

I considered placing a button in the middle of the cushion (on each side). The button I chose was too pale and drew too much attention to the centre, therefore I decided to do without a button.

I am so happy to have used up this yarn! And it adds to the gift to my brother.

No comments: