Monday, April 16, 2007

sunday funnies

Over time I am going to post some pictures of my previous projects. Today is the first of this series. This Sailor Sleeping Bag is from Pingouin No. 103, page 8. I started this project for my nephew in 1989, and finished it in 2006! Needless to say, he never got a chance to wear the thing. I got stuck when I had to join the pieces. I learned to knit using a book, and it took me a long time to figure out what was meant by a mattress stitch. Not knowing how to proceed, I took a hiatus from my knitting for many years.

The actual pattern instructed me to close the bottom, and although I do not have any children, I didn't think that this would be a very good idea. As you can see, I fashioned a way to put snaps on the bottom. The buttons were a challenge to find - I finally found ones I was happy with on eBay. When I finished the project I noticed that I had made a miscalculation on the stripe pattern (see the shoulder picture). Well, after all of that work I am leaving it as it is. It gives the garment character, right? Now, I just have to find a suitable baby who would benefit from such a gift!

The Easy Granny Quilt Afghan is sewn together and the border completed. Tomorrow I will block it using the method described below. To finish off all of this acrylic yarn I am making a garter stitch throw cushion.

Help anyone?
I am practicing my continental knitting method daily. While my movements are getting more fluid, I am having a lot of trouble with yarn tension. I would love to read any of your comments on improving my yarn tension using this method. To get the same tension, do you need to use a smaller sized needle for the Continental method compared to the English Method?

No comments: